History of Temple
Congregation B’nai Israel was organized in 1879 for the purpose of the worship of God in the Reform Jewish tradition. Services were held in the Odd Fellows Hall until 1906 when the congregation accepted an invitation to meet in the Christian Church of Columbus.
The first Temple in Columbus was built for the Methodist Church in 1844. The building later served as a private military school, a city gymnasium, and a community concert hall until it was bought by the Congregation in 1907. In 1960, the old building was torn down and the present structure was erected using the old bricks. During the period of construction, the Congregation held services in the Episcopal Church.
Congregation B’nai Israel is an active member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. Our services are conducted by Rabbi, Seth Oppenheimer.
Other Mississippi State History Resources
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, MDAH